If you’re welcoming a house sitter into your home, a little time upfront will save you in the long run… It’ll make everyone’s experience more enjoyable. Some things are about communication, others are about preparation.
Following our worst house sitting experience, we’ve come up with 23 things every home owner should do to prepare for a house sitter. Many of these items are covered in our Family Friendly House Sitters House Sit Handover Form, which is designed to be completed with the house sitter. There are a few things that you will need to prepare and update prior.
This list should help guide you to ensure that your home is ready for its new guests:
- Create a House Sitter Information Pack
- List Household Jobs that Need to be Done
- List Gardening and Outdoor Jobs that Need to be Done
- Plan for Your Pet Care Needs… Both the Expected and Unexpected
- Detail Your Car Use and/or Maintenance Expectations
- Create a Listing on a non-Facebook House Sitter Website
- Confirm Your Insurance Policy Details
- Detail Your Home Security Details
- List Your Power, Gas, and Water Connection and Supplier Details
- Create an Emergency Contact List
- Identify What Events or Mail You Want to Be Notified About
- Notify Your Neighbours of Your Plans
- Confirm Your Itinerary Dates AND Times
- Identify the Out-of-Bounds Areas
- Make Space for the House Sitter’s Personal Belongings
- Store Your Valuables and Breakables
- Create an Inventory of Your Non-Secure Valuables
- Set Aside the Towels and Bedding that Can be Used
- Cancel or Suspend Subscription Services
- List Your Internet Details and Passwords
- Organise Spare Sets of Keys
- Identify the Food and Drinks that Can or Can’t Be Used
- Create a Quick Guide to Your Local Area
Using a house sitter really does create a win-win situation. A little time upfront will save you in the long run. It will make everyone’s experience more enjoyable. Be upfront with your expectations. This will increase your chances of entering into this type of relationship with the right house sitting family.
Do you want a pdf version?
Click here to not only get it in pdf, but to also find out more information about what should be covered in each of these items